Monday, March 24, 2014

Step Three Prayer

I wanted to share a couple of Step Three prayers to you. These are from various Twelve Step Programs that I thought would be helpful as we close out March this week, which represents our Third Step.

CoDA Third Step Prayer:

In this moment, I can choose my own
Higher Power. I can set aside all the
old beliefs about who I am not and
be who I am—a child of God. I can
remind myself that a faith in a Higher
Power becomes a faith in me, and
that my recovery lies in being true to
myself and to my Higher Power

-CoDependents Anonymous, Tools for Recovery, CoDA Step Prayers

AA Third Step Prayer

God, I offer myself to Thee-
To build with me
and to do with me as Thou wilt.
Relieve me of the bondage of self,
that I may better do Thy will.
Take away my difficulties,
that victory over them may bear witness
to those I would help of Thy Power,
Thy Love, and Thy Way of life.
May I do Thy will always!

Page 63, AA Big Book © Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

God,
I offer my _________ (fill in the blank: food addiction, compulsive eating, fear, other character defect) to you to build with it and to do with it as you will. Relieve me of the bondage of _________(fill in the blank as before), that I may better do your will. Take away my ___________ (fill in the blank as before), that victory over it/them may bear witness to those I would help of your power, love and way of life.
May I do your will always.
What do you think? I like the third option. It's good to be able to "fill in" my own addiction. It helps me stay focused. I am going to try out this prayer for the next few days and see how I like it. 
I hope you have all had a lovely March. The weather has been pretty good here in the Seattle metro area. I am looking forward to more sun. :)
Stay safe, sane, and sober!
Sincerely, 




www.ableseattle.com
@A_B_L_E_Seattle
www.facebook.com/ablecounseling

No comments:

Post a Comment