Thursday, February 20, 2014

Types of Therapy


Welcome to Thursday, everyone! This week I have some handy tool suggestions that can assist you on your recovery journey. The topics below are all about therapy! Different types of therapy that I think are helpful because I use them all.

Individual Therapy
     As a therapist, I often get to see people dramatically change their lives after deciding to seek individual therapy for their fears, anxieties, depression, relationship struggles, and addictions. I specialize in working with folks that engage in addictive behaviors such as codependence and sex and love addiction.

     In therapy, you get to share inner and outer struggles with a trusted provider that is trained to be nonjudgmental, affirming, and encouraging. Once you feel safe in the environment, you can be propelled to explore all the pains and struggles you have had in your life. You can even share all the important accomplishments. Most importantly, you are safe and secure. You can get feedback, direction, and suggestions about next steps. I would highly recommend finding a therapist that has awareness of the Twelve Steps and recovery.

Couple Therapy
     Having issues with your partner or spouse? Bring them to couple therapy, if he/she is willing. Couple therapy isn't very successful unless both participants are ready to engage. If both are ready, find a therapist that is skilled in working with couples. If your relationship has a unique dynamic, such as polyamory, find a therapist that is knowledgeable about the poly community.

     Couples need a safe place to resolve their issues. I work with several couples and its some of the most rewarding work I have done. I highly recommend that you check in with your partner about starting couple counseling. Topics that are great for couple counseling include but are not limited to: financial difficulties, infidelity, communication breakdown, trust building, parenting, and much more.

Group Therapy
     Group therapy is fun, fun, fun! I wish I had more groups in my practice. Group therapy allows you to be connected with other individuals with similar struggles. There is usually a group facilitator, who is most often a therapist, that leads the group discussion and provides assignments. Most groups meet weekly or biweekly. The average group lasts about six to twelve weeks. If you are looking for an intensive group experience you may find that they are longer in duration and the length of treatment may be several months.

Cinema Therapy
     I use cinema therapy in my practice. The basics around this idea is that we can use movies and TV to connect to characters that may be experiencing similar issues that we may be experiencing in our real life. I have always been a movie and TV fan, so it was exciting to see literature on cinema therapy. I once ran a cinema therapy group at a mental health clinic and the group members showed up every week to see a new movie or show with a new theme. We then discussed the significance of the movie, its characters, and plot. I believe that cinema therapy promotes healing and growth.

     It is refreshing to watch an old movie and see it in a new light. Look for the themes. Identify with the characters. You may learn more about yourself. Check out http://www.cinematherapy.com/


Float Therapy
     This is by far the coolest type of therapy tool that I can suggest. Float therapy is done in a isolation tank or desentization tank. You are given a set time frame, usually 60 min, and then you get into this tank. Inside the tank there is no light and usually no sound. There is water that contains Epson salt. The Epson salt creates buoyancy. You will be floating on top of the water.

     It has been said that one hour of float therapy equals four hours of sleep! It's a relaxation tool that works. I go a few times a month when feeling stressed or overwhelmed. After an hour in the tank, I am often rejuvenated and ready to conquer the world. Take a friend with you so he/she can have a similar experience while you are in your tank. Then you will have something fun to discuss afterwards.

Well, I am off. I hope these tools are helpful for you. Ask questions if you have them. I will respond as I can.

Stay safe, sane, and sober! Enjoy your weekend.

Sincerely,



No comments:

Post a Comment