Thursday, January 30, 2014

Tool: Affirmations


We could all use a daily dose of affirmation. Affirmations provide positive inspiration for those in recovery. Sometimes we get bogged down with the issues of our past, which often times brings about despair.

The journey through recovery is not an easy one. Using affirmations can add some light to comfort and guide you. Affirmations may be found in books, phone apps, daily emails from Hazelden's Thought of the Day, or you may even create your own!

I created ABLE Affirmations back in 2012 and I use them myself, as well as with my clients at ABLE Counseling Services, LLC. The affirmations all start with "I am ABLE....". Here is a quick sample of what I mean:


You may also find it helpful to create a list:

A list of positive affirmations to deal with depression

  • I pursue my life’s purpose
  • I feel worthy
  • I feel fulfilled & joyful
  • I deserve to be happy
  • I only have positive mental pictures
  • Joy overflows in my life
  • I am becoming better everyday
  • I embrace positive self-esteem
  • I reject abuse from others
  • I have faith and deep belief in myself
  • I have an enthusiastic outlook on life
  • My future looks great

A list of positive Self Confidence Affirmations

  • I am strong and secure
  • I have inner resources
  • I have the power to realize my goals
  • I take charge of my life
  • I am valuable
  • I stand firmly in my belief in myself
  • People respect me
  • People like me
  • I am a true friend
  • I care for people
  • I am confident of my capabilities, expertise, and know-how
  • I am interested in others
  • I am confident
  • I am a strong person
  • I dissolve all obstacles to having complete self-confidence
  • I am a success
  • I choose to be happy
  • I have faith in God and my future
 http://www.affirmations-for-radical-success.com/list-of-positive-affirmations.html

Whatever way you decide to create affirmations for yourself, remember that we may wish, dream, or hope that others affirm us on our journey, but they are not required. We have to take control of our recovery and affirm ourselves for the loving, caring, perfectly imperfect human beings that we are.

Stay on the path. Your Higher Power is by your side.

Sincerely,




No comments:

Post a Comment