Thursday, January 2, 2014

Tool: Meditation




Today, we have a special guest post from a reader and fan of ABLE Life. He is providing us his experience with the practice of meditation. Please welcome R.H.

Eighteen months ago, I entered recovery kicking and screaming.  With the emotional force of atomic explosion, my world had fallen completely apart six months before that.  Along with a very long list of unfortunate character traits,  I have been blessed with the gifts of curiosity and a ‘can-do’ attitude.  I focused my full attention and explored every idea I came in contact with to salvage the pieces of my life in the hopes I could eventually glue them back together.  12-step programs and meditation hit my radar screen within the same month.  I dove into both.

I had only vaguely heard of meditation before then.  I had no clue as to its objective nor how to ‘do it’.  My initial guidance was from an unassuming man who invited me to mediate with him and a few other quiet people whose names and faces are lost to me now.  He provided me with less than five minutes of training before we sat for my first time.  Half-hour later the group got up and walked away.  The man didn’t say a thing to me, except that he would be meditating there again that evening.  He gave no indication he was expecting a response.

I felt befuddled as I walked away from my first session.  I was expecting to be asked about my time sitting.  I expected to be counseled, corrected, judged.  I expected to feel uncomfortable to see the others talking afterward, knowing that I wanted to be invisible and neither engage in chat nor slip noticeably away.  I felt a strange relief that there was no after meditation interaction.  I reflected on my experience.  It didn’t hurt.  I didn’t feel shame. I didn’t feel tired.  In fact I didn’t really feel anything.  Just a vague calmness that dissipated several minutes later when I picked up the activities of my day again.

I returned that evening.  Then again the next day twice more.  And the next.  And the next for several weeks until the universe dissolved the group.  After some sits I felt frustrated, after some I felt angry, but mostly I felt an unusual calm that was fleeting but peaceful.  And this was a huge contrast to the rest of my recovery work, where I generally felt like I was doing hard work.

Eighteen months later I am still meditating.  Not in a structured way or to a timetable.  I tried that but I soon began to feel stressed and like I was failing.  And my meditation has somehow led me to explore other new things in my life – like the philosophy of Buddhism, for example.  Things that are helping me glue back those pieces of my shattered life.  And most curiously of all, I am gluing them back in new, much healthier way.  For me, that’s what recovery is.---R.H.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! What a powerful, well-written, exploration into the recovery tool of meditation. If you haven't added meditation to your practice, now is the time. The universe keeps us busy, but we have to make the time to pause, relax, and enjoy the silence. Mediation is something that I am working on myself. Let's all give it a try in the New Year. 

Sincerely, 


No comments:

Post a Comment